Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sanctimonius Interview

1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?

Greetings! First of all Sanctimonius – it’s a one-man band. I’m Gregory - leader of the band.

Sanctimonius band was formed in 2007. Initially it was a project playing atmospheric gothic/neo classic/enigmatic. The mixture of these styles can be heard in first works of Sanctimonious band. It was calm and mystical music with various classical and ethno musical instruments and Latin language lyrics. The main themes of lyrics were lost power of wise ancestors, degradation of humanity, destroying shrines of nature, enmity to everything earthly, contact with ancient spirits and conversation with elementals. Unfortunately project hasn’t got further development and has finished its existence after release of the third track "Jerusalem 1187 A.D.". First time Templars were mentioned in "Jerusalem 1187 A.D.". Later this theme got reflection in “Knight’s fall” song.



2. How would you describe your musical sound?

Initially music of Sanctimonius band could be described as atmospheric/depressive metal. After creation of new songs the genre of the band has been transformed to atmospheric/post black metal. Sanctimonius’s music particular features are slow rhythms, abundance of ambiance and keyboards. Gregory is the vocalist and the only musician (guitar, bass guitar, keys and drums).

3. What is the meaning behind the band's name?

As I said before - initially Sanctimonius music was atmospheric gothic/neoclassic. The main themes of lyrics were lost power of wise ancestors, degradation of humanity, destroying shrines of nature, enmity to everything earthly, contact with ancient spirits and conversation with elementals. Nature, ancestors, spirits and elementals for me like a temple for christian. Holy, pureness, sanctity - are synonymous with the word “Sanctimonius”. It’s a Latin language word. I think it’s a beautiful word and this name is suitable for my music.

4. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?

My good friend Alexander writes lyrics. Lyrics are important part of creative work. They reflect an internal state and the views of the participants on questions of being. It's like a soul scream, a cry of incomprehension, injustice and cruelty. Renunciation of all earthly, desire for freedom of body and soul, solitude, beauty in darkness ... Thoughts of eternal and incomprehensible for others, thoughts and dreams of a mad poet.



5. Has the band had any opportunities to do any live shows, if so what are some of the best shows that the group has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

Sanctimonius is a one-man band for now and that’s why I don’t have any opportunity to do any live shows and I never had it with Sanctimonius. But in future, maybe in 2011 or 2012 I will start to look for a band members, so and then Sanctimonius will step to the stage.

6. How has the feedback been to your music so far from black.dark metal fans worldwide?

Usually if someone liked my music, they mail me and say what they think. Mainly people says that my music touches their hearts and stuff like that. And sometimes they even get to feel the atmosphere and mood that I try to convey through the melody and lyrics. But everyone has his own musical taste you know, and of course not everyone likes my music.

7 How would you describe your musical progress over the years and what direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?

I have been doing music for many years. About 12 or 13 years. I started with violin and piano and after it I started to play guitar. I was playing in many bands, growing up my guitar and music skills before Sanctimonius was born. First full-length release will be in this autumn or winter. After that I’ll start to compose new songs. And I want to change genre of my music to sympho black metal with slow rhythms and ambience. So will see what happens.



8. When I was reading your bio I noticed that there was a lot of talk about the Knights Templar, what interest do you have in this ancient heretical, mystical cult?

I’m interesting in Templars for a long time. Cause their cult wrapped of mystics and secrets. In song “Knight’s fall” I telling story about the last templar’s master - Jacques de Molay. I suppose that he was accused unfair and was burned in bonfire. You know, subject of unfairness constantly touches me and that’s why I composed a song about it.

9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and what are you listening to nowadays?

I don’t have any influences. All the time since my childhood I was keep trying to compose music different from other. Now I listening a lot of music. Black metal, death metal , power, heavy, hard rock, alternative, doom metal, folk metal, classical music, gothic, industrial, darkwave and many other…

10. Are there any side projects besides this band?

No. Now I don’t have any side projects.

11. What role does Satanism, Occultism or Paganism play in the music and how would you describe your views on these topics?

Satanism, occultism or paganism plays no role in my music. I have agnostic and scientific views to any religion.

12. What are some of your interests outside of music?

Computers, books, science, history, ufo, ancient Russian paganism

13. Any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for this interview. I really appreciate it. And it is pleasure for me to be published in your zine.





Greg. Sanctimonius.

No comments:

Post a Comment