Friday, June 17, 2011

The Crevices Below Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about this project for those that are not familiar with the music?

The Crevices Below is a side project of mine which I formed in January 2011.



2. How would you describe the musical sound of the current album?

"Below The Crevices" is a mixture of various black metal and doom metal influences. I guess you could say the atmospheric black metal sounds of early Emperor and Limbonic Art, mixed with the doomier parts of Katatonia, Bethlehem and Paradise Lost.



3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new releae explores?

The entire album is lyrically based around the story of an underground king, who rules an underground city. Slowly his paranoia and angst increases as the lack of sun drives him mad. Each song is a step in the gradual decline of a once powerful being.



4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

The Crevices Below is a name I chose to mean "what lurks in the cracks of the earth beneath your feet".



5. Currently thwere is only one member in this band are you planning on adding other musicians in the future or is this going to remain a solo project?

I don't really have any plans to add further members currently. but it's something which I may consider in the future. I'm keeping my options open at the moment.



6. What is going on with the other projects these days?

My main other project is of course Midnight Odyssey. A new double album is set to be released in the coming months on I, Voidhanger Records in Italy. I also have just started a funeral doom project, that is presently only in its infancy.



7. How has your music been recieved by black metal fans worldwide?

"Below The Crevices" seems to have been received quite well so far. It's only a month or so since its release, and being a new project, it will take a while for the name to get out there, but I'm currently satisfied with feedback.



8. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?

I have no idea. It's too early to be concentrating on that right now, but I guess I would just like to further refine what I have already begun with this project.







9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I listen to a lot of music. I'm not really that fussy. Black metal and death/doom are my favourites, particularly from the early to mid nineties period. This is when black metal and death/doom were just beginning to branch out, accommodating many different influences. There weren't set rules back then on what you had to do. I don't want to sound like one band, or one style. I want people to be surprised when they hear something on my albums they weren't expecting. The Crevices Below had so many influences for the first album. Those which I stated earlier, but also Anathema, Primordial, Septic Flesh, Verdunkeln, Drautran, In The Woods. Currently right now I am listening to Unholy's Trip To Depressive Autumn.



10. Does Occultism play a role in the music?

I'm not sure how to answer that. Occultism is a very general term. I don't adhere to any particular belief, and definitely not to any organised religious group. I believe these matters are really personal and individual. No one man has the right answer, no one belief system has the right methods. Personally, satanism has nothing to with my life or my music. I see satan as a Christian construction, and i see Christianity as corrupt. I could say I have more of a pagan style of spiritual belief, but I'm careful not to base these beliefs on creations of outsiders (Christians, Jews, etc). But none of this has anything to do with The Crevices Below. This project is mere fantasy made up in my head, nothing more, nothing less.







11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Apart from music, I have keen interests in history, mythology and art. Inevitably these things creep into my music, so it's kind of all tied in together. I'm never bored.



12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thank you. I hope you and your readers enjoy the album. It's out now through Nordvis.

Facebook
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment