Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A God Or An Other Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
T: We are A god or an Other. We play experimental black metal. I guess we call it experimental because we mix in several different genres along with black metal.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
T: That is a hard question. We are still kind of developing our sound. I know what i would like us to sound like, and I don't think we are at that point yet. Id like to steer away from the "post" label.
D:-Experimental, psychedelic black metal with doom, sludge, and post-rock influence.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
T: There isn't really a unifying theme with the lyrics yet. I think Sam and I usually tackle each song line by line and have different themes going on. General ones are despair, and enlightenment. In fact, I think those are probably two of the main ones on our full length. 
S:3. Lyrics are pretty all over the place. We tend to touch on lyrics with an "other-wordly" feel to them. Outer space, esoteric religion, occultism are all featured heavily.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
T: "A god or an Other" Is a phrase from Mark Z. Danielewski's 'House of Leaves". The book deals with a family living in a house with supernatural qualities, in particular, a closet leading into a labyrinth. The labyrinth is pitch black and never-ending. Any sound created inside echos, grows, and reverberates to the point where the listener can't tell whether or not it is 'a god or an Other' creating it. I liked the way it was written, god was not capitalized but 'other' was. Implying a generality toward god, but that the 'Other' could have been something much more powerful or terrifying; an extra-dimensional being, an abomination,something along those lines. 

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
T: We played with Velnias a while back, I'd like to play with those guys again.
D:-We've played house shows in Olympia, WA and Richland, WA that were absolutely insane. The energy those kids put out for us considering nearly all of them didn't know who we were before we started playing was inspiring and invigorating. 

6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
T: We are playing a bunch of cool shows this summer. I think we are playing with Stoic Dissension this August. That should be awesome.
D:-Currently planning for a few shows in the summer and fall. Would love to tour as much as possible if scheduling works out.

7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?
T: We don't have any plans as far as being on a label go, but we would definitely welcome the support of a label. 
D: -I love the idea of doing everything ourselves. I was raised by the DIY/independent music scene and have nothing but love and respect for it. However, if someone wanted to help us press some vinyl, I'd be delighted.

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
T: I honestly have no idea. I think most of the black metal bands we are into probably wouldn't like our music. Fuck 'em.
D: -I don't know what anyone thinks of us other than the people that have told me directly. I don't think most purist black metal fans would like what we do, but that's fine. We aren't Norwegian, Satanic, or racist, and there's no reason for us to try and cater to that demographic.
S: 8. Haven't really heard much from the worldwide Black Metal community yet, but hopefully people are open to the direction we're trying to take the our music. It's not a total departure from most of the conventions of the genre, but with just enough progressive elements to keep people guessing.

9. Are there any other musical projects going on these days?
D: -I play bass in another band called Breag Naofa. It's progressive, heavy post-metal. Our drummer is also in a grind band called Shapeshifter.
S: I am currently in a grindcore/dbeat band based out of Bellingham, WA.

10.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
T: I've begun a bit of writing for our next release. I'd like to move towards a more extreme metal sound, while still being a bit experimental. I would expect a bit more drone/doom influence on our next album as well.

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
T: On ToS i would say i was influenced by a lot of Drudkh , some sludge and post stuff too: Amenra, Rosetta. Nowadays I am listening to Altar of Plagues, Deathspell Omega, Vestiges, and Woe a lot.
D: -As far as my own bass playing goes, Brian Cook from Russian Circles/Botch has always been a big influence on me, as is Dave Edwardson of Neurosis, and Jeff Caxide of Isis/Palms.
Lately I've been listening to a lot of the newest Deafheaven record, Downfall of Gaia, Light Bearer, The Great Old Ones, and Alda.
S: 11. The drumming of Emil Amos (Grails, OM, Holy Sons) as well as Dave Witte (Discordance Axis, others) and Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy) have been very formative influences. The music of Blut Aus Nord and Portal helped to fuel my creative energies for this release.

12. How would you describe your views on Occultism?
T: I think we are definitely into occultism, a lot of things i love stem from it, but it is becoming increasingly mainstream. I see name brand shirts with an all seeing eye logo or inverted cross on it and it's a little unpleasant. 
D: -I'm a little unnerved by how trendy and fashionable occultism has become. I see hipsters wearing Lovecraft and Crowley and sacred geometry and they have no fucking cool what any of it means, or the origins of what they're selfishly expressing to the world. That being said, the 3 of us are all at the very least intrigued and inspired by occultism, and it definitely carries over into our music, lyrics, and lives.
S: 12. The occult definitely fascinates us and we enjoy exploring it in our music. It's less of something that's actually relevant in our lives and more of roadside feature on our musical path.


13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
T: I love being outside. I've been hiking a lot.  
D: -I pretty much just devote my life to music. When I have free time I like hiking and camping, just being away from the city and people.
14.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
S: 14. Thanks for this interview!


Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment