Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Furor Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new music?

Well aside from promoting it as hard as I can through various mediums, I’ve been writing new songs which are so far sounding great, plus rehearsing and doing shows with my other three bands Impiety, Mhorgl and Malignant Monster.

This year, Impiety had the great fortune of performing shows in India, Malaysia, Norway, China, Hellfest in France and Indonesia. International shows are always amazing to do!
The other Australian based bands have been playing shows here in Perth, Australia on frequent basis. We have a pretty active scene here.

As for the Furor, I'm currently rehearsing with a new lineup with the intention of playing more shows towards the end of this year. I've been itching to get out and perform these songs again. Our set will feature songs from all the older albums, plus Impending Revelation. I'm itching for this!


2.In March, you had released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you had released in the past?

Well for starters, this is the first album I’ve ever written in which I wrote and performed all instruments myself, so that surely affects the outcome. It's a more focused style I think, although it can be hard not to repeat yourself when working alone.

The songs are generally a little less complex than previous albums, the riffing is more intentional and solid, and I think the arrangements are definitely better, I made sure of this! It still has the trademark speed and ultra ferocity of the previous four albums, but It is all more concise and tightly packed. Older songs had a tendency of getting too long and often missed the mark in terms of purpose and memorability.

I'm very happy with the way this album has turned out. I even surprised myself a little during the writing process. I worked very hard on it and broke down a few of my creative barriers along the way. My focus and resolve was never so strong whilst writing a CD.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music?

The same as always! Insane forces from other dimensions instigating Death, War, Armaggeddon, Violence the destruction of society and culture as we know it. Total upheaval, and belief in the power of self above all other forms of dogma, religious, cultural or otherwise. I'm not so much into trying to educate the listener, or preach, but entertaining is my main focus. Although the content may seem unoriginal in metal, it's the way in which the words are written that differs slightly.
My lyrics, while containing ideas and themes true to my core beliefs, are not ideological in any sense, e.g. I’m not trying to shovel an agenda or set of beliefs down anyone’s throat. I think art/music has become too self involved and romanticised. I'm simply here to shove a hand grenade up your ass and get your head banging!!!!!!!


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'The Furor'?

The official definition of the word is: a situation in which everyone is manic or upset / a furious and hectic activity. These connotations alone seemed to back up what the band was about, plus the word just rolled off the tongue nicely too.


5.The last few recordings have been recorded all by yourself, are you open to working with a full band again on this project or do you chose to remain solo?

I'm undecided at this point, although if the right person/people present themselves, I’d definitely consider a full lineup. It's just about finding someone who is keen on playing that style, and has a good work ethic.

Currently I’m fully focused on putting together a live lineup to play shows, after that we'll see what happens.

The reason The Furor became a solo project in the first place, is that it was becoming hard to get the level of commitment I wanted from other members. Understandably though, attention can wane for numerous reasons. We'd been performing a long time in the scene, we're getting older, responsibilities outside music are ever mounting, etc.

I never wanted to quit entirely, so whilst doing many other bands, and touring the world as I have, I always had it in the back of my head to reform the Furor and pummel the fuck out of everyone all over again!!!! It's definitely a force to be reckoned with and I can't put it to sleep.



6.When there was a full line-up where there any live shows, if so what where some of the best shows that you had played and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Our stage performance is a full barrage of Armageddonous stealth and firepower!
Very intense, very visual and very tight musically.  As it should be. All aspects bombarding you in the face at once! We played probably 100 shows between the years 2004-2008 and they were all fun. I love playing live most of all, as I am somewhat of a social creature!

To me, recording albums is almost secondary to the experience of playing live.
In my opinion, REAL bands are ones that can pull it of spontaneously in a live setting. Studio trickery doesn't fool me, I've been around since before the digital age hehehe.

Highlight shows include our Australian tours with Behemoth (for their ‘Demigod’ album), Nile (for the ‘Annihilation of the Wicked’ album) and Marduk (for the ‘Rom 5:12’ album).
That was a great chance to get out of Perth and play Australian city's that had never experienced us before, and boy, we gave ‘em Hell, on a platter!


7.On the new album there was a cover of Slayer's "Show No Mercy', what was the decision behind doing your own version of this song?

Well Jeff Hanneman had just died and Slayer were firmly on my mind, more than usual haha, so it was my own little tribute to him, plus it's an old Slayer song I really enjoy, and am able to play without too much difficulty. In fact, those first two Slayer albums are perhaps my favorite metal albums of all time. They have an authenticity that is near impossible to be recreated these days. Amazing riffs, amazing vocals, amazing arrangements!!


8.The new album was self released but you have worked with labels before in the past, how would you compare the DIY approach to working with a record label?

I've only ever worked with the Prime Cuts label which is based here in Perth, and a few small distros worldwide, all of which have been quite minor affairs. Y'know, 5 CD's here, 10 CD's there kinda thing. It's probably worth mentioning that I’m currently looking for a reliable label to release ‘Impending Revelation’ and future releases worldwide.  Get in contact! I think I can hit a bigger audience, but I need more of a network by which to do it.

The benefits of doing things DIY, is that you have FULL CONTROL. You know where all the product and all the money's going so you're fully accountable, and it's a guaranteed way to get things done, on a smaller scale mind you. But it's not too bad with the internet these days. We were doing this before the internet existed and that was completely different as you can well imagine.

Doing things DIY can be fun, like running your own little business. The biggest downside of the DIY approach is finding time to follow everything up! It takes a lot of time to write and produce music, but probably even MORE time to promote, package and send things throughout the world. It can be a tad distracting for me at times as music is my forte.

I'd like to have more time to focus on the creative aspect, and let a professional handle the promo duties, but in the meantime, I’m doing an ok job at spreading the music, and the music seems to be speaking for itself thus far.



9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the new album by fans of black and death metal?

It seems to be great so far. All reviews have been positive and I haven't seen anyone talking shit about it! I've promoted this one harder than previous releases, so I think it has reached a wider audience.


10.What is going on with some of the other musical projects or bands these days that you are a part of?

I have played drums with Singaporean Black/Death masters IMPIETY since September of 2011 and in that time I’ve recorded with them one album (‘Ravage and Conquer’) and one mini album (‘The Impious Crusade’), and we've done a heap of touring also. We toured Europe twice, once with Enthroned from Belgium, and once with the mighty Absu from Texas.  Awesome bands and ferocious blokes! Like I said we've played some new territory this year also, India, Norway and China. All big festivals, all great shows! In the past, we've extensively toured throughout Malaysia, Thailand, The Phillipines and Australia and New Zealand also.  It's been a wild ride, and I wouldn't change any of it. Touring is the hardest, yet the best!

Here in Perth, I recorded drums for the MALIGNANT MONSTER album 'Yours in Murder', plus we played many good local shows including a support slot for Watain, and we also hit the road and executed a small Australian tour with Melbourne thrash warlords DESECRATOR. We're currently writing for a new album, and we'll be playing local support for Krisiun here in November. I'm excited, as I'm a Krisiun nut!

The other band I’m in, MHORGL(Experimental Death/Black), is about to release an EP entitled ‘Haunter of the Dark’. It's a short sample of some new songs we've whipped together in the last year or so. It's a slightly different direction to our previous three albums, but sounds great so far. We did two shows in the Eastern States of Australia in 2011 and we play local shows here in Perth too.

I also played about 20 local shows with another project PSYCHONAUT (Thrash, Metal, Rock). That was fun. I think they're a great live band, very entertaining and somewhat of a fixture here in the Perth metal scene.


11.Where do you see this project heading into musically during the future?

I'm not exactly sure, but it won't be too different. All I can say is that it will positively evolve. It will always have it's foundations in hyperspeed Black/Death/Thrash metal, NO COMPROMISE, but I'll continue to find better ways of expressing that, through accentuation of certain existing aspects. Time will reveal it all to me.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I don't have too much time to explore latest releases, but I can tell you what albums are currently in my car!

Deicide - When Satan Lives
Spearhead - Decrowning the Irenarch
Infernal Execrator -  Ad Infinitum Satanic Adherant
Oath of Damnation - The Descent
Exordium Ex Mors - The Apotheosis of Death
Apocalypse Command - Damnation Scythes of Invisible Abomination
Angelcorpse - Of Lucifer and Lightning.
Abhorer - Zygoatal Ecstacy
Suffocation - Live in Montreal

As you see, mainly old school style Black Death metal.
This is the style and vintage of metal which musically influences me.
And of course there are a million more bands I praise!

Absu, Immortal, Krisiun, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Dawn of Azazel, Immolation, Tjuder, Watain, Slayer, WASP, Van Halen, Lion, Sodom, Motorhead, Necrophagist to name a few.


13.Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?

I have a casual interest in it and I respect it, I’d say I understand the fundamentals of it, although I don't spend too much time researching or consciously putting themes into my music, but they do creep in there. It's inevitable I suppose?

I do believe in the occult and its ability to manifest in the human dimension. I think it's just a viewpoint that our currently society cannot understand or has trouble integrating.
Let’s face it, modern culture is a big show game, and it won't last without major upheaval. Ancient wisdom and knowledge has been eclipsed in favour of passing trends and superficial satisfactions, and we seem to be moving away from that sacred knowledge as time passes. I'm sure ancient cultures knew more about the true nature of true reality (in a cosmic context) than we probably ever will. Most people have trouble just keeping up with society and the economy, let alone delving into exotic mysteries which generally get you branded as a crazy person in this day and age.

These themes are woven into my music, but they are only one aspect of it. I'm still predominantly caught up in the DESTRUCTIVE phase hehehe.



14.What are some of your non musical interests?

Other than music, I like to keep fit by exercising, doing weights, jogging at the beach near where I live, stretching - generally keeping fit. I like reading books on esoteric topics like the mind, universe and magic etc. I like watching films, mainly sci fi, Horror etc, although I’ve not seen a really gripping film in some time. Ugh! I also spend a lot of time going out to watch local shows in my hometown of Perth. There always quality shows happening here and a tight horde of metal barbarians to support!

To tell the truth, I probably spend too much time playing music! But as long as I’m inspired, I love it.


15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Well first off, a big thanks to you for granting me this opportunity to speak about myself so indulgently!

Please support and stay updated on my projects at these sites:
www.facebook.com/thefurorobliterate
http://thefuror.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/impietyofficial
www.facebook.com/mhorgl
www.facebook.com/malignantmonster

Be proud!
Your thoughts are the only reality!
Avoid shitty media!
Communicate truthfully and clearly with those around you!
Work Hard! Play Hard!
Support the arts!
Destroy the Machine!
......And fuck, I hope someone sorts out this bullshit in the Middle East because it seems to be getting completely out of hand!!
A miscommunication that may kill us all!!

That's about it for now, thanks again!!
Bleughh!!!!!!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
ReverbNation

No comments:

Post a Comment