Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Upon Graves Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

-Well first and foremost, we’re from Tampa, Florida, USA, and I started this band in 2012 as a channel for my thoughts and beliefs, and it has been going strong ever since.

2.In 2014 alone you had put out 3 releases, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?

-It’s Black Metal at the core, but there is a clear Death Metal influence in there as well, which I think is fine. I have no issues infusing the two.

3.Last year from April to December, you had released a demo, ep and a full length, do you put a lot of time and effort into creating and writing songs?

-We put an extreme amount of both time and effort into creating songs, both musically and lyrically. I have the utmost respect for this project and would never release something that I didn’t put my heart and soul into.

4.The lyrics cover Anti Cosmic Luciferianism, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the black arts and left hand path?

-I write from what comes inside, I just let it happen naturally. You must have that “divine spark” in order to truly grasp what is at hand.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Upon Graves'?

-I believe that one day everything within this plane of existence will end, and it will all return to nothingness. It is for that reason I always thought I was “upon graves”, so to speak.

6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

-We played a show recently with a band called Hod from Texas. It was a mix of the old and new members in the band, as I’m working on a new lineup. I liked it a lot, for it shall only get better. When it comes to stage performance, I really think people can feel the intensity we emit, and I want that. Like I said before, this band is a channel for my beliefs, and performing these “rituals” on stage is a great outlet for me.

7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?

-Of course. We’ve talked about touring shortly in the future but as previously stated, I’m getting a new lineup together, so that’s what I’m focused on now. One particular show coming up in October of this year is the Black Kvlt Fest in Florida that we’ll be a part of.

8.The new album is being promoted through Occult Society Promotion? Can you tell us a little bit more about this company?

-The guy who created Occult Society Promotion is a buddy of mine from Italy (but they work in two), who plays in a great band himself. They promote Metal or Rock bands that, as the name suggests, have an occult theme. He fully stands behind what Upon Graves is doing.

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and death metal?

-From what I’ve heard and/or seen, it’s been going well.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

-It will always be Black Metal. Now within that spectrum, I can’t say.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

-Dissection has definitely been the biggest influence on the band, among others, such as Horna and Watain. Recently, I’ve been listening to quite a bit of Blasphemy, although I’d like to add that I’m a huge fan of the Finnish scene, whether it’s Black or Death Metal. Archgoat, Sotajumala, Satanic Warmaster, Black Sun Aeon, Insomnium, Behexen, etc. I love music as a whole; I’m not a metal elitist.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

-Thanks for the interview, I appreciate it. Stay strong, never give in, and never give up. HDHM.

Bandcamp
Facebook
ReverbNation
SoundCloud
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment