Monday, November 16, 2015

Grimmdrasil Interview



1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days? I am working on new material that is less metal and more dark experimental groove oriented type of stuff. I am also in the process of going through all of my old material and remastering it for future release. I am remastering my 3rd album right now.

2.So far I have heard the first album but how would you describe the musical sound of the later material that you have recorded? There is a common core of dark experimental type sound that runs through all of the material. I really do not know how I would categorize the later material. I have so much going through my head that the sound can differ greatly from song to song. I think it is almost like the spin of a wheel which has on it every influence I have, whatever it lands on is what I record. Nice vague answer I know. hahaha

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music? The macrocosm side is the struggle of humankind to find meaning in a meaningless Universe. The microcosm or individual level is various levels of mental malady. The alienation and depression of being a human with brain chemistry that makes being human very uncomfortable. Also fear, sadness, absurdity, and a very subtle layer of humor, which plays on the notion that humor is humanities best and probably only defense against stark emptiness and meaninglessness.

4.I know that the name 'Grimmdrasil' comes form Norse Mythology, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic? I chose Grimmdrasil of course as a play on Yggdrasil. In one sense it is like a darkening of the world tree. Also Yggdrasil means Odin's Horse which is another term for gallows which is where the idea and term All life hangs from the Grim tree of life comes from. It also has a Evolutionary Biology slant as it is a kind of play on the phylogenetic tree of life. I added Grimm in front Drasil because life is short and grim, or at least is has been for the vast majority of species that have lived on this planet. You are riding a grim horse in a game that was not of your making and you have other options but to stop and die or continue forward through the fever dream of life.

5.A lot of the albums have been recorded years ago but only started getting released in 2015, why did you wait all of these years? At first I was just recording all this stuff just for myself; as a kind of therapy I guess you could say. As time went on I started to feel that I should maybe do something with all these stupid cdr's that were laying in the closet; none of which were bloody labeled. When I first recorded them I really didn't have the intention of releasing anything because I just felt that it would be pointless amid the glut of music on the internet. Eventually it started nagging at me to do something with all of this work just sitting here. So i did and now I am writing this to some stranger on the internet. haha

6.When I listened to some of the music it sounded very much ahead of its time, how do you think people would of reacted to the albums if they where released shortly after they where recorded? It might have got more attention; Although my personality almost works against such things. haha

7.On the albums you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer the solo route? I have most of the time preferred the solo route.I think mainly because of my undiagnosed social anxiety disorder. I also just like being able to do everything at my own pace. but that does not mean I am not open to collaborations. For example I have started working with Emir doing synth on a project.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the music by fans of black metal? I have not had very much feedback at all. I did have a good review in Terrorizer magazine in 2005. I don't even remember what issue it was. I don't think straight up pure black metal fans would dig it to much because it is not pure black metal and I don't think progressive rock fans would like it to much because it is to raw and to metal. I am stuck in limbo. haha I may be being to cynical here, I am not sure

9.According to the metal archives page there has been no music recorded, can you tell us a little bit more about the last 8 years? There has been music recorded in that time it is just no one knew about it but me. I think it was around 2010 I stopped recording because I thought there was really no point in it because there are millions of fucking bands. I also may have burned myself out a bit. A bit later on I realized that it was either continue doing music or just stop and die. Without a creative outlet there is no point in existing at all beyond the obvious basic subsistence.

10.Are you planning on recording or writing newer material in the future and if so where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future? Yeah like I said, I am working on new stuff right now. As far as the future, I really dont have a plan for the future besides just keep working on new material and keep living until I am dead.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? As far as influences go I would say, 70s prog rock Italian, but all other counties as well. 70s jazz fusion. Corte Dei Miracoli, Museo Rosembach, Ys, Le Orme, PFM, Cervello, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Sensations Fix, Madrugada, Ossana, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Genesis, Peter Hamill, Caravan, Camel. The whole 70s Canterbury scene. Frank Zappa Mahavishnu Orchestra,  Miles Davis, George Duke, Billy Cobham, Alphonso Johnson, Papa Creech, P Funk,   The list goes on and on. I am and probably always will be stuck in the 70's. As far as modern stuff goes I like Enslaved, Blut Aus Nord, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Arcturus, Steven Wilson, Borknagar, Portishead. I forgot to mention 70s experimental Electronic music as well. The list goes on and on and on.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? Yeah I suppose this interview was kind of depressing. There was no interesting heart warming inspirational story about drugs and hitting rock bottom and finding redemption through music blah blah blah. Just some boring guy. I should have livened it up with some ridiculous humor. It is to late now. I am to tired. I fucking blew it. BYE  Oh and thanks for the interview.

Facebook
Myspace
Official site @ archive.org
ReverbNation
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment