Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Koge Interview


1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

I started Koge in early 2015 to perform Black Metal without any frills, simply concentrated on the essence
of the specific mood and atmosphere of the single tracks. It is deeply inspired by some classic bands from
Norway which coined my taste in Black Metal heavily. The lyrics that also exist for instrumental songs
are always of three lines and so demand the essence of my particular thought and not to get off the point.


2. How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?

Koge is mainly focussed on raw Black Metal but adding some ambient pieces to the whole spectrum.
It reflects my primal emotion linked to Black Metal and is therefore using primitive song patterns,
a dark and tragic keynote and atmospheric/meditative ambient elements. Listening to Black Metal
I always feel it to be a dark journey inwards and hope to hand a key to the listener with Koge.


3. You released 4 demos all in one day, do you put a great amount of time and effort into writing and creating music?

The material for Koge was written within ten months and is - like my other musical works - of an very impulsive nature. If there is an idea then I totally submit to it and bring it to manifestation until it is complete (as far this is possible). But in general, when in a creative phase, I do not think in terms of time or effort but simply open to the stream breaking out. Since I am working alone I have no limits when or how long to work. So it can happen that I am working on a daily basis for some weeks and collect material accordingly.


4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with this project?

The lyrics deal with transitoriness, thoughts on death and mortality, but also reflections on mythic topics
that reach into occult symbolism partly. Since I do not quote ideas I rather express an image from my
mind to find out its meaning for me by putting it into the lyrical scheme.


5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Koge'?

The name Koge comes from the Middle High German word for pestilence/plague. The word sounds
old and snaggy, quite sinister in my ears. I used that word already in the year 2000 for an ambient demo
I recorded for myself. So there is a reference as well to a chapter of my own music, too.


6. With this project you record everything by yourself and also have done the same with other projects you have been involved with, do you feel this gives you room to be a lot more creative?

Yes. When I started making music, especially Black Metal, there was no one actually sharing my interest, not even listening to it. So I arranged myself with working alone - and developed my own style of writing/recording - in short -running my own projects without the help of others. I also played together with other musicians, but the right feeling only comes up when I am alone. I guess my music never sought the masses but is individual and for a listener alone with himself - so shall be its creation.


7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

In the first place I am thrilled by the independent way of releasing my music. I wanted to avoid producing
tons of MCs/CDs/etc. which are rarely selling from my side these days. Probably after some further demo
material I will focus physical releases as well but need to hear some improvement in writing and production
for that particular step.


8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

So far it has been overwhelmingly good although the most feedback I received came from friends
and closer contacts. I always welcome listeners writing their impressions and hope some more will do.


9. What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?

The only active project is Regnum while the rest is closing the final chapter after and after. I have some releases of my side-projects left to come but mainly focus on Regnum and Koge these days. Regnum will come up in 2017 with a compilation tape of unreleased songs (to close a tape-series of
the re-issued demos) and finally with the vinyl versions of the first two CDs after more than 10 years. I am
preparing a new album for Regnum as well (the working here is a little slower currently).


10. Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?

Intensifying my path whatever expression I find and where ever it may lead. May it be silence one day.


11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

The obvious influence on Koge is mainly Black Metal of the nineties and related ambient works. "Landscapes" of Ildjarn is one of my all time favourites. I listen to a broad spectrum of music
ranging from Black Metal over classic to noise/industrial, progressive rock and early synthesizer music. Nowadays I am deeply into the musical works of Hermann Nitsch, Arnold Schönberg, A.N. Skrjabin - mainly unconventional classical music with lots of other composers. I am impressed by those who submit to
the thought a holistic work - combing the effect on all senses.


12. Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?

Occultism plays a role for me as a person and is therefore bringing up thoughts and a mental attitude that inevitably have an effect on my music and the states which my music supports within me. I avoid putting quotes or certain terms into my lyrics that are simply taken from other writers. But I implement my personal experiences and thoughts by a reflection or description of the primal effect or state I found before. I feel a deep reference to the Golden Dawn and the old Fraternitas Saturni, Rune-meditation and other different
sources that I got into during all the years of exploring my mind and its relation to all its exceeding vastness.


13. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

My deepest thanks to the Occult Black Metal Zine for your time to explore Koge's first output and primal ideas. For anyone interested in Koge please visit https://koge.bandcamp.com or for more information on my complete musical work visit http://moriturus.de.to please. For questions and info also write at fb.moriturus@gmx.de.

No comments:

Post a Comment